About The Cerebral Rift
The cerebral rift is that space between the thoughts, ideas and concepts. The space where associations run wild, and thoughts get crossed.
Another way to think about it is as a mental remix or mashup. I might be listening to a piece of music, reading a journal, news story, editing a piece of code, or whatever when an idea or concept crosses my mind. When that happens, I will try to capture it here.
Now, given the nature of the random-mental-mashup, some posts will make sense, and some won’t make any sense whatsoever. Hopefully in the long run, there will be some type of gestalt. Something that makes all the parts of this endeavor greater than the sum of it’s parts.
I have plans to write many things in this blog including, but not limited to:
- Reviews: books, music, movies, etc. I have a large music collection, from both the commercial and the Creative Commons / Libre Culture domains. Movies are still mostly from the commercial domain, but as I find things that are available in other domains, I will be certain to talk about them. And finally, there is books: with the advent of eBooks finally starting to catch on, there are more and more options. I don’t use them yet. So, I will talk about books that are either openly available, or device independent, or print books.
- Social commentary: different things that I notice and think need to be examined.
- News commentary / perspective. I’ll try to stay away from the silly pop-culture stuff (you really don’t want to know my opinions on Michael Jackson or Tiger Woods) unless there is a real reason to look at it. Most of the time this will be politically oriented, but I try to stay away from politics most of the time too.
- Libre Culture: I’m an advocate of the Creative Commons, and of other methods for promoting Open Culture / Libre Culture, or whatever terminology you want to put to it. I will be writing about this subject fairly extensively.
- Who am I? How do I define myself within the culture and society of today? How am I changing as the world changes around us?
So, that’s basically it. Or at least, that’s all I can think of at the moment. I may update this page from time to time as other things occur to me that I should note.
The About The Rift by The CerebralRift, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.